Dish TV's average subscriber additions
95,000 per month and counting!
4Q FY2008 - Highlights
• 285,000 new subscribers added during Q4 and 1.04 Million in FY 2008
• Gross subscriber base stands at 3.0 million as on March 31, 2008
• Net Subscriber base stands at 2.5 million as on March 31, 2008
• Overall Pay Gross DTH market Share of Dish TV stands at 59% in 3 market operator scenario
• Significantly improved Brand Health Scores due to new marketing campaign
• Expansion of front end service network to 90 towns
• More content - With 185 channels, Dish TV offers the maximum number of channels in comparison to any other DTH service provider
• Distribution strengthened - Now present in over 4,500 towns through 38,000 dealers and over 575 Distributors
• Bandwidth charges from Broadcasters will be one of the new Revenue stream in 2008-09
• Gaming will also became a paid service in the current year
• Key ARPU drivers will be higher Channels offerings, launch of niche channel bouquets, VAS being charged from the subscribers and all promotion to be on higher tier package
• Lower License Fee from 10% of GR to 6% of GR as recommended by TRAI will result in higher financial performance in 2008-09
• Expansion of Dish Care Centre, service franchisee, Dish Shoppe and Collection Agency will receive lot of attention and focus in this year
Dish TV India Limited, the pioneer and No. 1 Company in Indian DTH space, has reported fourth quarter gross revenues of Rs. 1364 million, representing a 21% growth over the third quarter revenues this fiscal. The Board of Directors in its meeting held on Thursday, June 18, approved the Audited Financial Results and announced the key business metrics for the quarter that ended on a happy note of 3 million subscriber base.
Mr. Subhash Chandra, Chairman said, "This entire year the focus has been on a three pronged strategy of aggressive subscriber acquisition, improvement in quality of subscribers and enhancement of customer experience at all service touch points. In the last few months huge investments have been made into brand building activities on two fronts - a stronger affinity with the mother brand ZEE and thru our tie-up with our brand ambassador Shah Rukh Khan who has taken our brand promise to market very effectively. Dish TV continues to be the platform with the widest content, packaged in most consumer friendly customizable packages, which continues to be one of our biggest strengths and product differentiator that is not easy to match. We are confident that with the coming of newer competition, Dish TV is all prepared to optimize the opportunity that lies ahead and take the lion's share of the emerging market."
Commenting on the recent developments, Mr. Jawahar Goel, Managing Director, said, "A key challenge for us, as a leader in the DTH category, is to keep our innovative streak alive. Our promise is to continue to do unprecedented work on all aspects - hardware like mobile dish, VGA boxes, content & VAS enhancement, consumer friendly packaging and pricing schemes and so on. This quarter, we have further enhanced our English movie-on-demand library by tying up with Sony Pictures. We also enhanced our channel offerings to almost 185, with the addition of popular news and regional channels like TV 9, Jaya Tv, CNEB, India News and so on. Further, Dishtv's transparency campaign, "The dishtv Challenge", helped garner large volumes in an otherwise price sensitive market. The idea was to provide flexi plans that will benefit the consumers across all segments and help them evaluate the benefits of a single price, with no hidden costs whatsoever.
We have also laid the seeds towards building a robust VAS vertical, by initiating large scale sampling of our MOD service in our latest acquisition offers."
Dish TV continues to be a market leader with 59 % market share in 3 player scenario on date, with a sizeable sales and distribution infrastructure of 575 + distributors and 38,000 dealers across 4500 towns - by far the largest in the category. This reach into far flung markets enables building of a diverse subscriber base across consumer segments, that is supported by its rich content of regional channel offerings. The year has also seen development of a new sales vertical to manage the corporate and key account businesses that have added an additional revenue to the organization this year.
Moreover continuous efforts have been made into ensuring a delighted subscriber base where promising renewal trends can be seen. Initiatives like, the launch of my account page that allows subscribers to know their renewal info on their TV screens, on-board calling for newly acquired members of the family, uniform call centre numbers and facilities, service extension of dish care centres to over 120 towns and so on.
The Table below shows the performance of Dish TV for fourth quarter and full year ended March 31, 2008.
Analysis of Expenses
Dish TV main expenses include subscriber related expenses, employees and administrative cost. The following table sets forth the percentage of costs that each type contributes to total expenses for the quarter ended March 31, 2008 and December 31, 2007.
The revenue streams of the company are divided into a) DTH operations, b) Teleport Services, and c) Trading. The table below shows revenues generated out of different segments.
Dish TV is the country's first DTH service provider and continues to be prime mover in this segment. DTH industry is expected to grow more than 50% in the next 3 years and Dish TV would strive to take a large share of the business. The company would continue to focus on increase in ARPU, value added services, commercial sales (e.g. hotels, restaurants, pubs, clubs, malls etc), brand building and penetration, service capability ramp up resulting in value creation for the stakeholders.
Dish TV uses the platform of NSS-6 satellite which is unique in the Indian subcontinent owing to its automated power control and contoured beam which makes it suitable for use in ITU K and N rain zones ideally suited for India's tropical climate.